Henry Moore was born in 1898 in Castleford, Yorkshire. After the First World War, Moore studied at Leeds School of Art in 1919 and the Royal College of Art in London in 1921, where he would go on to teach. Throughout the 1930s, thanks to numerous commissions and exhibitions Moore started to be considered as one of the leading avant-garde artists. In 1948, Moore was the sole representative of the British Pavilion at the Venice Biennale XXIV, winning the International Sculpture Prize. After the Second World War, Moore and his wife Irina Radetsky relocated from London to Perry Green, Hertfordshire where they would live for the rest of their lives. While living in the countryside, Moore started to gradually absorb and integrate elements of the natural landscape into his practice, at times exploring the analogies with the human body. In 1977 the artist established the Henry Moore Foundation to support and encourage opportunities in the arts.
Moore’s work can be found in the following selected international collections: the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), New York; the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York; Art Institute of Chicago; Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Buffalo; Philadelphia Museum of Art; San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMoMA); Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA); Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes, Buenos Aires; the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Venice; Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam; Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester; The Hepworth Wakefield, Leeds; the Tate Collection, London.
Please contact the gallery for further information on this artist.