Born in the village of Cerecinos de Campos of Zamora in 1910, Baltasar Lobo began as an apprentice to Ramon Nüñez while attending sculpture modelling courses at the Museum of Fine Arts of Valladolid. He later began carving gravestones in order to support himself while taking evening classes at the School of Arts and Crafts. In 1929, Lobo attended an exhibition in Madrid on Joan Miró, Salvador Dalí and Pablo Picasso among others that had a profound influence on his work. Following the Spanish Civil War, during which his studio was bombed, Lobo fled to Paris where he befriended Picasso and Henri Laurens. Sharing a studio with the latter, Lobo exhibited alongside both them at the Vendóme Gallery of Paris and other venues during which time his work began to achieve recognition.
Lobo began to contemplate the playful relationship between mother and child while on vacation in 1946. This moment provided lifelong inspiration for an important series in the oeuvre of the artist, which expresses the movement and liberty of play and the contrast between stability and dynamism. In 1951, he had his first solo exhibition at Stockholm's Blanche Gallery and went on to be exhibited around the world including Venezuela and Japan. By the late 1950s, Lobo’s style reached maturity when he began to test the limits of abstraction, inspired in part by the sleek, organic forms of Constantin Brancusi and Jean Arp. His work finally travelled to his home town in 1984 where the Baltasar Lobo de Zamora Museum was founded. He was awarded the Spanish National Award for the Plastic Arts in the same year. Lobo died in 1993 in Paris.
Baltasar Lobo’s sculptures feature in numerous leading international collections, including: Musée d’Art Moderne, Centre Pompidou, Paris; Museo Reina Sofía, Madrid; Musée d’Art Moderne Grand-Duc Jean, Luxembourg City; National Gallery, Prague; and Tokyo National Museum, Tokyo.
Please contact the gallery for further information about the artist.